Thursday, 07 June 2012 15:29
Sheriff Paul C. May has released the following information:
RE: Store Owner Arrested for the Sale of Spice
- The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office(OCSO) made their first significant spice arrest since Florida’s new law went into effect July, 2011.
- The Okeechobee County Narcotics Task Force arrested 33-year-old Mohammen Mandus Salam, owner of The Okeechobee City Marathon Store, located at the Marathon Gas Station, 118 S Parrott Avenue, Okeechobee, Florida.
- Salam had been approached and advised that selling these items containing certain components, would be a third degree felony, and that after confirmation of the components he would be subject to arrest.
- At a later date, items containing the illegal components were purchased from the store and sent for testing.
- Results were received from the Indian River Crime Lab and FDLE Regional Crime Lab-Ft. Myers, that proved the components of the item were illegal.
- Salam was arrested for Possession With Intent to Sell Controlled Substance, to wit: Spice and Sale of Controlled Substance. Additional charges are pending.
Muhammen Mandus Salam
815 Lake Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL
Sheriff May said of the arrest, “We asked him to quit. He didn’t, and this is what he gets. This stuff has got to stop. It’s making a lot of our kids deathly ill and we don’t know the long-term effect. I appreciate the Task Force, City and County. They’re as good as I’ve seen and we’re thankful for it.”
- Investigators continue to work other spice cases, but have not made any other arrests to date, pending lab results.
- It is a third degree felony to purchase, sale, manufacture or possess certain synthetic substances. The OCSO went to over (25) businesses to check for compliance and found all the others were in compliance.
- To report any information on illegal sale of or use of synthetic substances, contact the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office at (863)763-3117.
- The county's crackdown on the substance is ongoing.
Okeechobee City Police Chief Denny Davis, Salam, Sheriff Paul C. May
Packets of Spice
Sheriff's Narcotics Unit
The Okeechobee City Marathon Store
Michele Bell, Public Information Officer
Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office
504 NW 4th Street
Okeechobee, Florida 34972