Holiday Season Crime Prevention Tips
During the holiday season, crime rates tend to have a slight upswing. This is due, in part, to shoppers carrying more cash and credit cards with them while shopping – shopping later than usual and the relaxed, easy-going attitude that comes with this time of year. We call it good cheer. Criminals call it complacency. By remaining aware of holiday season risks you can better protect yourself. The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office provides these tips to assist you in having a safe and enjoyable holiday season.
- Shop during daylight hours when possible & shop with a friend – safety in numbers
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to who is around you, what they are doing and what activities are going on. Be aware of someone watching you, or following you – you should notice who is around you.
- Don’t overload your arms with packages and bags while shopping. Clear visibility and freedom of movement are important self protection habits.
- Pick your parking spot wisely. Look for a well lit area. If you own a small car, try not to park next to a large vehicle, which can block your vision, or other citizen’s view of you while you are entering or exiting your vehicle.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running, even if you are only going to be away from it mere seconds.